Having hair loss problem is a common trauma for mostly new-mums. A latest study report showed that around 50 percent newly mothers experience sudden increase in hair loss after giving birth. In normal life, both males and females tend to lose about 100-125 hair each day, but this number reaches up to 500 a day after delivery. Medically, the post-pregnancy hair loss is termed as Telogen effluvium. Though it is impossible to prevent post-pregnancy hair loss but certain measures may help you minimize this condition. Keep on reading to get details.
The major culprit behind hair loss after childbirth is hormonal variations inside the female’s body. During pregnancy, the increased estrogen levels help your stay healthier and thicker. After the delivery, estrogen levels fall down and allow more hair enter the resting phase, thereby causing excess hair shedding. However, bear in mind that hormone deviations are not the only contributor for hair loss after pregnancy but some other factors also involve in developing this stressful situation. Sometimes, postpartum hair loss occur due to nutritional deficiency in mother’s body. Let’s know how the post-delivery hair loss could be minimized.
Effective Tips & Tricks to Prevent Hair Loss after Pregnancy
- If you are suffering through postpartum hair loss, avoid wearing the hairstyles that stretch or pull your hair such as braids, weaves & cornrows.
- Taking healthy and nutritious diet is the most essential step to stay healthy and prevent hair loss. During pregnancy and post pregnancy phase, your body require more nutrition than ever. So, be careful while making your post-pregnancy diet plan. Must add hair-friendly foods in your everyday diet. Seasonal fruits, raw vegetables and dark greens are full of vitamins, minerals, flavonoids and antioxidants. These all nutrients strengthen your hair and prefect it from breakage.
- Vitamins B complex, E & C contribute in making your hair strong and healthy. To provide your body adequate amount of such vitamins, you should consume the foods rich in these nutrients. Alternatively, you can take additional supplements of these vitamins. It will surely help you retain the pre-pregnancy locks.
- Selection of good quality shampoo is much important to improve overall health of hair. While purchasing a shampoo, never forget observing the used-ingredients list. Opt for the shampoo that contains silica or biotin as main ingredients. It would help you stimulate follicle growth as well as improve the hair texture.
- Always use a wide-tooth comb to detangle your hair to minimize the hair fall.
- To tackle the post-pregnancy fair loss problem, it is a nice idea to get a shorter haircut. Short haircuts are not only easy to manage but also make your hair look fuller and healthier.
- The mixture of egg yolk, lemon juice, rosemary and olive oil is well-known for reducing hair loss. Apply this mixture on hair and scalp, making sure that it reaches to each hair shaft. Let it stay there for half hour and then rinse off. Thereafter, shampoo your hair as usual.
- Fenugreek seeds have tremendous benefits for curing hair loss problem and improving hair texture. Soak a handful of fenugreek seeds in sufficient amount of water and leave overnight. Next morning use this solution to massage your hair. Wrap a towel around your hair. Rinse off after three to four hours.
- Massage your scalp with the mixture of almond oil and castor oil at least half hour before washing your hair.
You have read about the causes, tips and home remedies for hair loss after pregnancy. If you also know about any natural product that may help in reducing postpartum hair fall, must share with us in the comment box.