Diarrhea Treatment For Children – Diarrhea is a very common problem in children.
I have already written an article about its causes and when and how to consult the doctor in case of its occurrence.
Diarrhea Treatment For Children Under 3
In this article I shall give a few hints that how can we care while staying at home as under
- If the child is not dehydrated, but passing watery stool for limited time, continue giving the regular diet to the child.
- Mothers breast-feeding their babies should be very careful about the hygiene of their body, since that becomes the sources of bacterial and viral infection.
- The diet of breast-feeding mothers is also important to be regularized in case of diarrhea treatment for children in infants.
- High fat foods should be avoided during diarrhea.
- Children should be given light diets depending upon their age and likings such as rice, potatoes, yogurt and peeled fruits.
- Yogurt and one banana at a time are considered to be the best in bacterial infection.
- Fruits like apple, peach etc having much of iron and having high sugar contents should be avoided.
- Try to avoid cow milk, since its very thick, or you may give it mixed with water.
- Use boiled or mineral water, since at times even change in water source also causes diarrhea treatment for children.
- Just for the ease of parents, remember the BRAT diet (Banana, Rice, Applesauce and Toast) if your kids is suffering from diarrhea.
- Wash your hands before giving food to children.
- Wash buttocks of kids after stool to avoid rashes on skin.
- In case if child is doing vomiting, give ORT after every 30-60 mins.
- Keep giving breast feed to infant as much as he or she wants.
- If your child is on dry milk, use lactose free formula available in the market.
If you are travelling with your children, following precautions shall definitely help you avoiding diarrhea in your children
- Does not use tap water; rather carry along the boiled or mineral water.
- Do not use ice from markets
- Do not eat anything which was not made by you or not properly packed in foils.
- Avoid taking raw fruits or vegetables for eating en-route, or at least peel them before eating.
- Do not eat food which is not freshly cooked or at least hot enough before you purchased it.
Some specific signs of dehydration in children are as under
- Dry mouth or white tongue
- No tears while the child is crying
- Diapers remain dry for 3 hours or more (no urination)
- Eyes or cheeks are sunken
- Irritated behavior, like continuous crying or not feel like smiling whatever you do.
- Pinching the skin shall not flatten after release “diarrhea treatment for children”.